This course is the first step into a career that spans many sectors: nursing, social work, midwifery, psychology and care work just to name a few. Assessment will take place via coursework as well as an exam element. Your course work will be assessed by your tutor & then your work will be assessed by OCR. This course will allow you to take the first step into an industry where there is a severe shortage of workers and you can really make a difference in society and people’s lives. You could choose to work within the NHS, or go into more private companies. You will learn and develop new skills that will aid you in helping people with many different needs such as the elderly, people with disabilities and those with learning difficulties to manage their everyday lives. This course can lead into many different courses in higher education or into a vocational work placement in the sector.
Key Stage 4
You will study the key aspects of health and social care, and have the opportunity to apply what you learn through a number of practical experiences. This will involve the studying of two mandatory units and one optional unit:
R032: Principles of care in health and social care settings (Exam – 40% of grade)
In this unit, you will learn about the key topics that are important when caring for and protecting people in health and social care.
- Topic 1 The rights of service users in health and social care settings
- Topic 2 Person-centred values
- Topic 3 Effective communication in health and social care settings
- Topic 4 Protecting service users and service providers in the health and social care settings
R033: Supporting individuals through life events (coursework – 30% of grade)
In this unit, you will learn about growth and development through the life stages. You will also learn how to understand the needs of individuals who have been affected by life events and how to recommend support to meet their needs.
- Topic 1 Life stages
- Topic 2 Impacts of life events
- Topic 3 Sources of support
R035: Health promotion campaigns – (Set Assignment – 30% of grade)
In this unit, you will research health promotion campaigns and learn about their benefits to society.
You will also plan and deliver your own health promotion campaign.
- Topic Area 1 Current public health issues and their impact on society
- Topic Area 2 Factors influencing health
- Topic Area 3 Plan and create a health promotion campaign
- Topic Area 4 Deliver and evaluate a health promotion campaign
Key Stage 5
This is a 2 year course that achieves a Level 3 Extended Certificate in Health and Social care.
- In year 12 you will study: Unit 1 – Human lifespan development (external exam unit) and also Unit 5 – meeting individual care and support needs (coursework unit).
- In year 13 you will study: Unit 2 -Working in health and social care (external exam unit) and then Unit 14 – Physiological disorders and their care (coursework unit).
There are 2 units that are exam based and 2 that are coursework units, this allows for less pressure on students in exams and a spread of different skills to be used. The students are given the opportunity to talk to people that work in the relevant fields during the course.