The aim of the hair and beauty department is to instil knowledge and skills that benefit the students in their journey through this exciting career and to develop an understanding of this qualification and how it might be of use and value in further linked studies?
Communication skills are a major factor in this industry, this will in turn build the student’s confidence and Self esteem.
The qualification develops the following knowledge, understanding and skills:
- specific services carried out within the hair and beauty sectors, roles and responsibilities and typical working patterns
- evolution of hair and beauty from use in ancient times to the mid-90s
- how technological advancements, changes to the economy, and social factors have influenced the sector
- chemistry of cosmetics and biology related to hair and beauty
- uses of design and images for business use
- technical hair styling, make-up and manicure skills. Your understanding and skills can be developed further through progression to other qualifications, such as A levels or specific to a sector,
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy/Beauty Consultancy/Hair and Media Make-up
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing/ Barbering
Key Stage 4 Curriculum Summary
|Autumn Term Unit 201||Spring Term Unit 202||
Summer Term Unit 203
|Student’s will be taught key skills and techniques to develop an understanding of the expectations required to work in the hair and beauty sector.
They will understand the many job roles and responsibilities required in different job roles.
How technological developments have shaped the hair and beauty industry through time.
|Anatomy and physiology of the hair and beauty sector.
1. Understand chemistry of cosmetics and consider their uses within hair and beauty products
2. Understand biology related to the hair and beauty sector
On completion of this unit the Student’s will be able to identify and apply the sciences related to hair and beauty. Additionally, they will be able to transfer their learning and identify the influence of science in a range of contexts.
|Students will be able to explore the creative world of design used in business. Students will have the opportunity to plan and create their own design image using technical hair and beauty skills.
Be able to develop ideas for design images
Explore what opportunities are there in the hair and beauty sector for designing images apply their creative design skills to the business world